Sunday, August 15, 2010

lots to add....so i will start here

"So I think it's time we finished the basement..." That's the sentence that started it all at the beginning of the year. James just nodded and said sounds good, so we packed up the basement, rented a storage unit for all our precious stuff (aka JUNK) and realized, yep, the moisture issue is worse than we thought! The fuzzy white mold growing in the corner, the new electrical boxes put in 6 years ago, already rusting and corrodin, yep, this is going to cost us! After 5 contractors with quotes later, hoping to dodge the bullet of a major waterproofing job, which we didn't, the job of getting our house water tight is done! I we documented the jobs the entire way.


It started with replacing old plumbing, because if your a going to make a livable basement you don't want concrete floors, you want something nice. Old plumbing wont do because what if there is a flood. So you dig down 5 feet replace the pipes and then fill in the giant hole to hell. Yes, that's what I said hole to hell, well more like trench I guess. Man those guys worked hard, all this digging done by a couple of guys with shovels! Totally necessary we found out because that stack pipe that take all the bad stuff out of the house was totally corroded shut. Hmmmm how was anything getting out?

Well that was the first step done about a month ago, my next post will outline how the waterproofing company had to then dig out the basement, which involved digging out 9 inches of concrete and sand, while also digging around the four sides of the house! WHAT FUN!

Also, the last of the summer strawberries, and mmmmm peaches, I never can do anything in small amounts, nope not my style. My fear, just humour my ramble, is that I will be featured on one of the hoarding shows at some point in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment